What is a Custom Home?
A custom home is a new residence designed and built according to your needs and desires as interpreted by your Architect.
What is a program?
A program is a written description, list or outline that describes the type of spaces you would like to have in the home.
How much are Design Fees & Construction Costs for Custom Homes?
Design Fees: Professional architectural design fees can range anywhere from 5% – 15% of the construction cost.
Construction Costs: Typically in Dade and Broward County single family homes construction costs range from $120.00sf to $1,000.00sf or higher.
What architectural design style should I use?
If you have the option, go with the style you like. You can find more information on design styles here.
Things to know or consider.
- You will need a site survey of your property before your architect can start.
- You may need a geotechnical/soils report?
- You should learn what utilities are on site. (sewer, natural gas, electrical power, potable water, fire hydrant, telephone & cable)
- Whether or not your architect includes a full set of specifications with his drawings. (discussed above under Design Fees)
- Whether your property has association or city design review requirements?
- Whether your property requires a zoning/planning hearing in order to develop it?
- Do you have a contractor or will your design professional help you find one?
- Will you Bid the work for multiple contractors to price or do you have a Contractor in mind?
- During construction will your Architect or someone else provide Construction Administration services for you?